Lermontov as the "Russian Mozart"?

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Mon Jun 12 18:54:12 UTC 2006

There is no solid evidence that Pushkin had ever heard of Lermontov. I vaguely recall some dubious source (an anekdot, perhaps?) of Pushkin speaking of Lermontov, but to the best of my knowledge this is folklore, not fact.

Cheers,

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian & East European Literatures
Chair, Program in Russian & East European Studies
Brandeis University
GREA, MS 024
Waltham, MA  02454-9110
781.736.3347 (Office)