"assault rifle" for "avtomat"?

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Tue Jun 20 17:00:57 UTC 2006

All of this talk of avtomaty and ocheredi reminds me of a Shtirlits
joke (and one of the few actual Russian puns that I've heard out there)
that I feel compelled to share, though it not materially assist with
translation efforts:

Shtirlits strelyal po ocheredi.  Ochered' upala.

Cheers!

Emily Saunders