New techy approaches to the teaching of Russian (radical versions thereof?)

Sandra Rosengrant rosengrants at PDX.EDU
Thu Jun 22 19:36:48 UTC 2006

Dear All,

I feel that I should comment on the redesign of first-year Spanish at
Portland State University.

For the most part, the redesign has produced positive results. At the
time of the redesign, first-year Spanish was a “bottleneck” course--too
many students, not enough classes. We addressed the problem by moving
passive elements--reading, listening, and some drills--to an online
environment and reducing seat time from 195 minutes/week to 130
minutes/week. During the 130 minutes of class students worked in
relatively small groups (25 maximum) and focused primarily on oral
skills. Because of the automatization of tasks, TAs were able to teach
two sections. The latter change did lead to savings for the University,
but we also hoped that the increase in income would permit TAs to give
up off-campus jobs and spend more time of their academic programs.

There is no doubt that the Spanish program has benefitted from the close
scrutiny that accompanied the redesign. In 2005-06 we taught 65 quarter
sections of first-year Spanish for a total of 5,356 SCH. Student
satisfaction is higher that at any time in the past and objective
measures of student learning outcomes show no decrease in learning. TAs
receive more training than in the past, and there is more consistency
among sections. We have now extended the redesign model to second-year
Spanish and are experiencing similarly positive results there as well.

As a footnote, I should point out that the savings came from the
computerization of mechanical tasks rather than from the reduction in
seat time. Traditional students have objected to the reduction in seat
time, so Fall 2006 we will return to 195 minutes/week for day classes
while retaining the 130 minute/week format for evening students.

The redesign of first-year Spanish required a great investment of
resources and faculty time. Although I fully support the principles that
went into the redesign, it is difficult for me to imagine launching a
similar effort for a smaller language program. Dr. Robert Sanders
(rsanders at pdx.edu), the Coordinator of First-Year Spanish at Portland
State University, has presented extensively on the project. I’m sure
that he would be happy to answer questions (or correct my
misapprehensions) off list.

Cordially,

Sandra Freels Rosengrant, Chair
Professor of Russian