Brodsky: Gained in translation

Kevin Christianson KChristians at TNTECH.EDU
Sat Jun 24 19:17:55 UTC 2006

If subscribers ask for such information off-list, then how can those of
us (even if it's just one person) benefit from being on-list?  I for one
would like to know the source of Brodsky's statement!

Dr. Kevin Christianson
Office: Henderson 218B
Office Hours: M/W 1.30-3; T/R: 12-3
(ask about other days and times)
Tel. (931) 372.33.51
FAX: (931) 372.38.84

Mailing Address:
Department of English and Communications
Box 5053
Tennessee Tech University
900 N. Dixie Avenue
Cookeville, TN  38505  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Tom Dolack
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 5:14 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Brodsky: Gained in translation

Vsem privet!

In trolling through stuff on the internet I came across the following
quote by Brodsky: "Poetry is what is gained in translation." It's an
apparent reaction to Frost's famous addage that "poetry is what is lost
in translation." Does anybody happen to know where the quote comes from?
I found something vaguely similar in an essay he wrote on Cavafy, but
can't put my finger on the exact line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please respond off-list.

Vsego dobrogo,

Tom Dolack
University of Oregon
tdolack at uoregon.edu