the Russian gaze

Peter Morley pete.morley at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 30 07:37:48 UTC 2006

With regard to the Ukrainian spellings, could it simply be the case that the
players themselves were asked how they wanted their names rendered on the
shirts? In any case, while purists and probably Viktor Yushchenko would like
all names to be Ukrainianised and consistent, the national team reflects the
current reality, namely that some speak Ukrainian and some Russian as their
first language. To me, the mix of transliterations is therefore a non-issue.