Winter palace

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Fri Mar 3 13:55:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 00:33:38 -0500
  Inna Caron <caron.4 at OSU.EDU> wrote:
> As far as I remember, the Winter Palace had always been light green.

Don't know about the yellow, other people have addressed that. But
Alina is right, it was brick red for a while, and is referred to as
such both in Belyi's Peterburg, where the walls are "bleeding," and in
some early twentieth century memoirs (Likhachev I believe).

As for light green, I myself took pictures of it being light turquoise
in the late 80s (which I suppose could be classified as green, but it
was a darn sight prettier than the present icky color), and then the
present grayish-green.
-FR

Francoise Rosset
Russian and Russian Studies