Russian Postcolonial Poetry

Slivkin, Yevgeny Yevgeny.Slivkin at MONTEREY.ARMY.MIL
Fri Mar 10 17:23:21 UTC 2006

Dear Nina,

An interview with V. Shemshuchenko was published in one of the last issues
of the Russian right wing newspaper "Den' Literatury". You can find this
issue in the Internet. However, there is no "re-imagining of the national
identity" in his poetry, it is just clinging to the good old identity.
I think it would be interesting to compare Shemshuchenko's poem "Imperiia ne
mozhet umeret..." with the poem of Gennadii Russakov from his book
"Razgovory s Bogom" (which is from my point of view the best book of poetry
over last 10-15 years in Russia): " Proshchai, imperiia, ia vyuchus'
staret'/ Mne khvatit krivizny moskovskogo ampira./ No kak zhe ia luibil
tvoikh orkestrov med'!/Kak nazyval tebia - Moia shestaia mira!"

Good luck with your research.

Yevgeny Slivkin

Yevgeny A. Slivkin, Ph.D.
Assistant professor of Russian