accuracy

ROEBUCK-JOHNSON, AIMEE M. (JSC-AH) (NASA) aimee.m.roebuck-johnson at NASA.GOV
Fri Mar 10 19:53:46 UTC 2006

Ms. Vera B-M,

In my training as a linguist (in both Slavic and English languages), I was
taught that we gain the most when we look at language in all its existing
forms and note variations and modifications without making unnecessary
evaluative judgements.  I personally take exception to several statements in
your posts, which I've quoted below.

It seems to me that your comments are more evaluative than productive in the
list's search for greater understanding of how speakers use language.  Your
words seem to indicate that you do not value American English (or its
speakers) and its place in linguistics of the English-speaking world.

Aimee Roebuck-Johnson
English/Russian Language Instructor
English Program Administrator
TechTrans International, Inc.
NASA/Johnson Space Center
2101 NASA Parkway
Mail code AH3
Houston, Texas  77058
desk:  281/483-0774
fax:  281/483-4050

> One can't say what opera is playing - no matter what venue.  An opera is
performed.
> One can say that is "playing" at the local cinema (as slang).
> One can say: "What play is on (or 'being performed') at the local
theatre."
> Opera is far too serious to be confused with 'playing'.
> I am being a purist....because that is how we were taught in England.
> American-English is considered far to 'loose' in wording.

And:

> slushali operu (in cyrillic) - 323 pages

> smotreli operu (same way) - 933 pages

Just because it is a popular expression, does not mean it is correct.  Very
many people speak incorrectly - or sloppily.  Idiomatic versus correct
written/spoken usage.

There is also the 'street language' or uneducated spoken language.

Vera