Operas are performed not "played"?

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Fri Mar 10 20:05:41 UTC 2006

This whole thread is quite confusing.  I've never in
my life said or hear anyone say in English either "go
to see" or "go to hear" the opera (though I can't say
it would seem marked as either pretentious or ignorant
to me), but only go to the opera, have a box at the
opera, get tickets to the opera etc.  Both "see" and
"hear" actually just sound incomplete and inaccurate
to me as opera is both a visual and auditory
spectacle.  Regarding which particular opera the
expression I'm accustomed to was usually "what are
they doing/performing this season".  But then I am an
American with potentially loose wording :-)

Date:    Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:04:48 -0500
From:    "atacama at global.co.za" <atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA>
Subject: Operas are performed not "played"?

One can't say what opera is playing - no matter what
venue=2E
An opera is performed=2E
One can say that is "playing" at the local cinema (as
slang)=2E
One can say: "What play is on (or 'being performed')
at the
local theatre=2E"=20
Opera is far too serious to be confused with
'playing'=2E
I am being a purist=2E=2E=2E=2Ebecause that is how we
were taught in
Engla=
nd=2E
American-English is considered far to 'loose' in
wording=2E

vera b-m