kofe, stress, language, dogma, but no opera

John Dingley jdingley at YORKU.CA
Fri Mar 10 23:23:39 UTC 2006

Hi,

>This is a morphological anomaly that some prefixed verbs are
>conjugated differently from unprefixed, i.e. lazit' - lazhu,
>oblazit' - oblazhu, slazit' - slazhu, but with the prefix za- the
>pattern is broken.

I'm not sure Alina is right here. My 1987 Avanesov (Orf. sl. r. yaz)
also warns against -laziyu, -laziesh', with the prefixes ob-, iz-,
and s-. (There may be others.) This presumably means that some people
are using these forms.

However, Alina is quite right about Margaret Thatcher. Born in
Grantham, Lincolnshire, she started life with a northern accent,
but at an early age, she was sent by her parents to elocution lessons
to learn rp (received pronuniciation). The parents got their money's
worth, since their daughter ended up with what might be labelled
super-rp, spoken by her alone.

John Dingley