Are We Postcolonial?

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Sat Mar 11 02:02:22 UTC 2006

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere wrote:

> A final question to Professor Condee: if the bill looks like "scraps
> torn at random from someone's dissertation," then whose dissertation
> might this be?

Perhaps the rabbit's dissertation (see below).
    Bob Rothstein

One sunny day a rabbit came out of its hole in the ground to enjoy the
weather. The day was so nice that the rabbit became careless and a fox
sneaked up behind it and caught it.

"I'm going to eat you for lunch!" said the fox.

"Wait" replied the rabbit."You should at least wait a few days."

"Oh yeah! Why should I wait?"

"Well, I'm just writing my Ph.D. thesis!", said the rabbit.

"Hah! That's a stupid excuse. What exactly is your thesis anyway?"

The rabbit replied, "It's a thesis on 'The Superiority of Rabbits over
Foxes and Wolves."

"Are you crazy? I should eat you here and now. Everybody knows that a
fox will always win over a rabbit!" said the Fox.

The rabbit answered,"Well, not really, not according to my research. If
you like, you can come to my burrow hole and read it for yourself."

"You are really crazy!" But since the fox was curious and having nothing
to lose, it went with the rabbit and followed it into its hole. The fox
never came out again. A few days later the rabbit was again taking a
break from writing and there came suddenly a rustle from the bushes and
there was a wolf ready to eat it.

"Wait!" yelled the rabbit,"You cannot eat me right now!"

The wolf asked," And why might that be, you fuzzy appetizer?"

The rabbit replied, "I'm almost finished writing my Ph.D. thesis on 'The
Superiority of Rabbits over Foxes and Wolves." The wolf laughed so hard
it almost lost its hold on the rabbit. The wolf said, "Maybe I shouldn't
eat you, you're really sick and might have mad rabbit's diseases, and in
eating you I might get Creutztfeltd- Jakob disease! Everybody knows a
wolf is superior to a rabbit."

The rabbit replied, "You can come to my burrow and read it for
yourself." So the wolf followed the rabbit into the burrow, and the wolf
never came out again. A few days later, the rabbit finished writing the
thesis and was out and about enjoying itelf when another rabbit came up
and asked," Why are you so happy?" The rabbit replied, "I've just
finished writing up my dissertation!" The other rabbit asked, "What's it
about?" And the rabbit said, "The Superiority of Rabbits over Foxes and
Wolves." The other replied, "That doesn't sound right, are you sure?"
And the rabbit said, "Yes, you can come and read it for yourself!" So
the other rabbit hopped along to the rabbit's burrow and went in. There
it saw the typical graduate student's room, albeit in a mess after
writing a thesis. In the right corner of the burrow was a pile of fox
bones, to the left was a pile of wolf bones, and in the middle, by the
computer sat a lion. The moral of the story is, The title of the
dissertation doesn't matter, it's who your thesis advisor is.