Rossians and Russians

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Mar 12 07:47:06 UTC 2006

At 06:05 PM 3/10/2006, you wrote:

>Dear Professor Condee,
>
>You wrote:
>
>Now let's get
>back to the purer topics: opera, _zvonit'_, and the holies.
>

>But what could be "purer" than the topic of "rossiiskii" vs "russkii"?
>This is a linguistic issue (and therefore appropriate to SEELANGS),
>and it is an issue with enormous political consequences in the
>post-Soviet space.  It is an issue of great psychological importance
>to both ethnic Russians and minority peoples in today's Russian
>Federation.  It should not be trivialized.
>
>Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Okay, speaking as a linguist, how will Americans pronounce
Rossians?  I would pronounce it [rahsee'uns], but I bet lots of Americans
would pronounce it [rahshuns] in contrast with [ruhshuns].  But if
you say [rahshuns] out loud, it sounds like someone pronouncing
Russians with a Russian accent...
Jules Levin
(sorry, I couldn't resist...)