Russian Germans / Rossians and Russians

Wed Mar 15 01:13:57 UTC 2006

Maryna Vinarska wrote:

>   As to the comment of Paul B. Gallagher:
> The problem with these phrasings in English is that for us they are
> backwards. Consider:
> Italian Americans (Americans of Italian descent)
> African Americans (Americans of African descent)
> Irish Americans (Americans of Irish descent)
> etc.
> I would say that "russkie nemtsy" doesn't have this connotation, if I
> understand the meaning of "backwards" in the right way, just because
> it is not used in similar contexts, or by those who would like to
> load it with any special meaning, like it is with the word "Russen"
> which implies that it is about those who are from the country where
> there are no schools, no universities, no one speaks English,
> everybody drinks vodka day and night, and white bears stroll along
> the streets back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...

What I meant was that if we follow the model of "Italian Americans"
etc., where the ethnicity is given first and the nationality is given
last (ethnicity being a modifier of nationality), a phrase like "Russian
Germans" would normally be interpreted as a person of Russian ethnicity
and German nationality, i.e., a Russian living in Germany. By the same
token, a Pole living in France would be a Polish Frenchman and not a
French Pole. If we want to speak of ethnic Germans living in Russia, the
English grammar would normally yield "German Russians" («немецкие
россияне») like "Italian Americans."

That's what I meant about "Russian Germans" being "backwards."

Of course, other factors come into play here, the most obvious one being
which "nationality" the person considers primary. In the case of
Americans, most of whom are proud of their adopted country, it is common
to say they are Americans most of all and also secondarily of Italian,
Irish, etc. descent. From what you said this evening, the German
Russians consider themselves primarily Germans and secondarily residents
of Russia, so it would be natural for them to call themselves "Russian
Germans." Compare for example Jewish American vs. American Jew -- both
possibilities exist according to the desired emphasis.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com