Card game in Seagull

atacama at global.co.za atacama at global.co.za
Mon Mar 20 19:19:13 UTC 2006

Original Message:
-----------------
From: George Mitrevski mitrege at AUBURN.EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:04:05 -0600
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Card game in Seagull

I found the scene with the card game, it's in Act IV, and the name of
the game is "lotto":

ARKADINA. [To TRIGORIN] When the long autumn evenings descend on us we
while away the time here by playing lotto. Look at this old set; we
used
it when our mother played with us as children. Don't you want to take
hand in the game with us until supper time? [She and TRIGORIN sit down
at the table] It is a monotonous game, but it is all right when one
gets
used to it. [She deals three cards to each of the players.]

TREPLIEFF. [Looking through the pages of the magazine] He has read his
own story, and hasn't even cut the pages of mine.

He lays the magazine on his desk and goes toward the door on the
right,
stopping as he passes his mother to give her a kiss.

ARKADINA. Won't you play, Constantine?

TREPLIEFF. No, excuse me please, I don't feel like it. I am going to
take a turn through the rooms. [He goes out.]

MASHA. Are you all ready? I shall begin: twenty-two.

ARKADINA. Here it is.

MASHA. Three.

DORN. Right.

MASHA. Have you put down three? Eight. Eighty-one. Ten.

Foreign Languages                 tel. 334-844-6376
6030 Haley Center                  fax. 334-844-6378
Auburn University
Auburn, AL 36849
home: www.auburn.edu/~mitrege