As long as we're exhuming the topic...

Inna Caron caron.4 at OSU.EDU
Tue Mar 21 22:00:21 UTC 2006

Dear Daniel,

I was referring to my personal experiences, in comparison to nightmare
described in PsychArt posts by English students, and sometimes their
parents.
I have not witnessed any Russian/Slavic studies professor silence a
student mid-sentence if the latter ventured into psychoanalysis (and if
that is the situation in California, I would not be in the rush to move
there, sunny as it may be :) Perhaps English professors simply have
poorer manners or are less stable. I am not out to offer an explanation;
I was merely asking a question.

Also, I have the book you're referring to, along with three others, also
bearing your name, on a bookshelf less than one foot away. I've
consulted them quite a bit, and with much interest. To me the very fact
that they exist, and that our library owns them, seems a proof that
psychoanalytical approach is perfectly legitimate. Perhaps it's the
Soviet era child in me speaking, but I thought that if a certain school
of thought was banned, its books would not be printed by academic
publishers.

We can continue this off-list, so that other people wouldn't get sick of
it as they did with the opera.

Sincerely,

Inna