tsars and iconostasis

Jack Kollmann jack.kollmann at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Mar 22 00:22:04 UTC 2006

         I, too, would be interested to learn of documents or instances in
the Russian church relating to the grand prince, tsar, or emperor entering
the altar area.

         The exception for the Byzantine emperor as the only layman allowed
to enter the altar area was established by the 69th canon of the 6th
Ecumenical Council:  "It is not permitted to a layman to enter the
sanctuary (Holy Altar), though, in accordance with a certain ancient
tradition, the imperial power and authority is by no means prohibited from
this when he wishes to offer his gifts to the Creator" (Vol. 14, "The Seven
Ecumenical Councils," in "A Select Library of Nicene and Post-Nicene
Fathers of the Christian Church, Second Series," Grand Rapids, Mich.,
Eerdmans, 1979; reprint of 1899 edition, p. 396).  Explications of this
canon point to the semi-sacerdotal character of the emperor's position as
God's vicegerent on earth, a position to which he is annointed with
chrism.  As far as I know, although the emperor was allowed into the altar
area, he did not participate there in the conducting of services.  He did
occasionally participate in certain services -- e.g., the Washing of the
Feet, wherein he sometimes played the role of Christ, but that, I believe,
was in the nave, or main body of the church, perhaps on the soleia, the
raised area in front of the iconostasis.  There are a few more conciliar
canons regulating who is permitted in the altar area, but the canon cited
above is the operative one relating to the emperor.

         Glancing at Russian church sources, I see the canon repeated as if
still operative, although I know of no documents/instances confirming its
practice.  See, e.g.:
         "Uchenie o pravoslavnom bogosluzhenii...," by Vasilii
Michailovskii, 16th edition, St. Petersburg, 1889, p. 7.
         "Polnyi pravoslavnyi bogoslovskii entsiklopedicheskii slovar',"
Izd. P.P. Soikin, 1913, reprint ed. Moscow, 1992, col. 132.
         "Pravoslavnaia bogoslovskaia entsiklopediia...," ed. A.P.
Lopukhin, vol. 1, Petrograd [sic], 1900 (a valuable but unfinished series,
which, as far as I know, came out 1900-1911 in 12 vols., up to the letter
"K"), col. 557.

         You know, probably, that the term "tsarskie vraty" refers not to
the earthly tsar', but the heavenly Tsar', whose throne (Russ. "prestol";
Engl. "altar") is behind the tsar' gates (royal doors) in the altar area
(Russian "altar'"; English, "sanctuary," or "chancel," the central part of
which can be called Holy of Holies, or Sancta Sanctorum).  More can be said
about the evolution of the iconostasis, the architectural arrangement of
the altar area and the soleia, and the varying -- sometimes confusing --
terminology in Russian and English about the subdivisions of the altar and
soleia areas, but my point here is to call attention to the origin and
etymology of  the central doors, the "tsarskie vrata" in an iconostasis,
from the Heavenly, not the earthly, Tsar'.

         I suspect that the Russian ruler seldom entered the altar area,
but I would be interested to learn of evidence and instances that he
(probably not she) did, and for what purpose.

Jack Kollmann
Stanford University