tsars and iconostasis

Sara Dickinson sara_dickinson at VIRGILIO.IT
Wed Mar 22 06:44:47 UTC 2006

Yes, it is my understanding that tsars could enter the sanctuary only
during the coronation ceremony--and this only for tsars who were male. I
don't recall my exact source for this, but it may have been something on
the development of the iconostasis.

Sara Dickinson

On Wednesday, March 22, 2006, at 03:10 , Stephanie Sures wrote:

> See Robert K. Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra". In the chapter
> detailing
> this part of the coronation (p. 54, paperback edition): "Then, for the
> first
> and only time in his life, Nicholas entered the sanctuary to receive the
> sacrament as a priest of the church".

Prof. Sara Dickinson
Sezione di Slavistica
Dipartimento di Scienze della Comunicazione Linguistica e Culturale
Facoltà di Lingue e Letterature Straniere
Università degli Studi di Genova

corso Firenze 32/11
16136 Genoa, Italy
39-010-213210