translation question

Keenan, Edward KeenanE at DOAKS.ORG
Thu Mar 23 15:33:02 UTC 2006

Query for Kjetil Rå Hauge:

The passage of time makes me increasingly less confident about what I may once have said or done -- but was it really I who mentioned that example?  No recollection.

Perhaps the other Edward Louis Keenan, Department of Linguistics, UCLA?  He, however, is known as Ted.

Edward L. Keenan
Andrew W. Mellon Professor of History
Harvard University

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Kjetil Rå Hauge
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 2:12 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] translation question

>One of my favorite funny translations:  "wet
>sheep" for "hydraulic ram" ("gidravlicheskii
>taran") -- mentioned years ago by Ned Keenan.

On the menu of the otherwise excellent La
Bruschetta on boul. Shipchenski prohod in Sofia,
not far from BAN, "zapecheni kartofi" is
translated as "constipated potatoes"...
--
--- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo (on sabbatical in Sofia, Bulgaria)
--- tel +359/29434244, mobile +359/899725606, fax +1/5084372444