Rezultat khozyaystvennoy deyatel'nosti

Fri Mar 24 16:01:12 UTC 2006

Edward M Dumanis wrote:

> As I understand, it is just a vague term that I would translate as
> "(a/the) result of (the) business activity" where "business activity"
> might replaced by something else depending on the context.
>
> So, it can be quite a number of things.

"Результат" is not a made-up term (it's actually borrowed from French),
and it's not vague except among non-accountants. I've seen it many times
as the "bottom line" on profit-and-loss statements and the like. It
almost always means "profit or loss" or "net gain or loss" or something
to that effect. It can sometimes mean "performance" ("ABC's performance
improved year-over-year") but as you know, if you talk to any
businessman, the real measure of performance is the bottom line -- how
much profit did you make? There are no points for artistic merit, only
for technical excellence. Did you or did you not execute?

By the same token, "хозяйственная деятельность" is routinely used for
"(business) operations," in other words, all transactions that affect
the bottom line. Outside of a business context, "деятельность" can have
a much broader scope, but here it is fairly clear: all transfers of
funds and/or other assets to or from the company. I would point out one
"nearby" sense -- in the context of ОКОНХ, ОКПО, etc., companies are
classified according to "вид деятельности," and that's much closer to
what you have in mind.

My source for the Russian and French financial equivalents I gave
earlier this morning:

Dictionnaire Commercial et Financier / Commercial and Financial
Dictionary / Торгово-финансовый словарь, by K. S. Gavrichina et al.
Moscow: Vikra, 1993. About 12,230 terms.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com