Soc. Realist Short Stories/Sketches in English?

Rebecca Jane Stanton rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Mar 24 23:39:29 UTC 2006

Dear Elizabeth,

I'm replying onlist because this is a question I was pondering myself
earlier in the semester (but not industriously enough to post about it),
and I suspect that other teachers of 20th-century Russian literature
would be interested in hearing responses as well.  I don't have time to
teach a full SR novel in my survey of 20th-century Russian lit. (I only
get as far as 1969 as it is), but I do feel it's important to expose
students to a taste of what Russians were *actually* reading in the
Soviet (pre-glasnost') period.  I can point you to two things I've used
myself:

(1) A Columbia undergraduate, David Plotz, recently translated a couple
of very brief excerpts from a SR children's book, which are available here:
http://www.theblueandwhite.org/index.php?page=post&article_id=13

(2) From 1946 to 1991 the Soviet Writers' Union published an
English-language organ, _Soviet Literature_, which contains (in addition
to various nonfiction pieces) stories, poems, sketches, and
serializations of the big SR novels (Pavlenko's _Schastie_, e.g.).  I
ended up copying for my students a set of three sketches by B. Polevoi
called "We Are Soviet People," and a shortish piece by L. Mogilevsky
called "The Turbine" (which backfired slightly because several of my
current students are of an engineering turn of mind and consider
turbines underrated as a subject for literature).  But browsing through
volumes of _SL_ at the library is a great way to come across the kind of
material you're looking for.

Best,
Rebecca Stanton