Grossman (previously - Soc. Realist Short Stories/Sketches in English?)

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sat Mar 25 07:04:44 UTC 2006

Dear all,

> I'm replying to the whole list rather than to Alina alone because it
> seems like a good opportunity to mention the recent, really interesting
> essay in the New Yorker on Grossman by Keith Gessen.  This article also
> mentions a new book of Grossman's wartime writings, published by the
> New York Review of Books.
> http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060306crbo_books
I agree entirely with Elizabeth Papazian about Keith Gessen's intelligent
and well-writtten article.  Even though I already knew almost all the facts
he mentions, I found the article strangely moving.

A small factual correction: A WRITER AT WAR (extracts from Grossman's
diaries) is published in the UK by Harvill Secker and in the US by Pantheon.
My translation of LIFE AND  FATE is published in the UK by Harvill Secker
and is coming out in May from NYRB Classics.  I have written a longish new
preface for this edition, now available on line:
http://www.nybooks.com/shop/product-file/13/life5413/introduction.pdf

Best Wishes,

Robert Chandler