The Bible in Russia

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Mar 26 07:53:40 UTC 2006

At 12:16 PM 3/24/2006, you wrote:

>Dear Colleagues,
>I'm surprised that these questions by Peter Scotto and Alexander
>Kulik have been ignored.  I too am interested in the history of the
>Bible in Russia (and earlier, in Rus').  Checking in James
>Billington's _The Icon and the Axe_ (Knopf 1978), I found some
>scattered information, but there must be something more recent,
>comprehensive, and useful.  It is known that the Russian Bible
>Society did exert considerable (and controversial) political
>influence in the 19th century, but that a full Russian (as opposed
>to Church Slavonic) Bible did not come into existence until 1876.
>Daniel Rancour-Laferriere

I also am astonished at what would seem to have been popular
unfamiliarity with the Biblical text.  But how to explain the rise of
various Pentacostal movements?  The Molokans, whom I have studied
(but unfortunately published only one article about)arose in the 17th
C., were under the direct influence of Revelations, and certainly
were familiar with other books of the O and N Testaments.
Jules Levin