AW: [SEELANGS] Sorting Russian Word Lists in MS Word

Boris Bender info at TRANSEARLY.DE
Mon Mar 27 22:38:17 UTC 2006

Hello Tony,
I remember this problem with the older versions of MS software. Since I work
with MS Office 2003 it is all OK. Which version do you use?

Regards,
Chris

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] Im Auftrag von Vanchu, Anthony J.
(JSC-AH)[TTI]
Gesendet: Montag, 27. März 2006 23:29
An: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Betreff: [SEELANGS] Sorting Russian Word Lists in MS Word

A question for the SEELANGS community that's on a somewhat more earthly and
concrete level than many recent postings...

I've been trying to use the sort function in MS Word (on a PC) for list of
Russian words.

The results I achieve are helpful, but not optimal.  What happens is that I
get a sort that is *generally* correct, but which also contains numerous
errors.  Typically, there are a bunch of words that get put at the top of
the list which are totally out of place (and in no particular order).  The
rest of the words are by and large sorted correctly at least by first
letter, usually more.  But I also end up with far too many words within each
of these groups that are out of place, meaning that I have to sort these
words manually.

Ideally, I would like for this tool to work as well in Russian as it does in
English.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, do you know of a
solution or workaround?  I tried cutting and pasting the list into MS Excel,
thinking that the sort function might work better there, but alas, the
results are the same.

Thanks,
Tony Vanchu

Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu