The Igor Tale: Humor and Irony

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Wed Mar 29 20:20:53 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues,

As for "John Reed," it is difficult to decide whether that posting is a
practical joke meant to make fun of psychoanalysis, or is actually the
looney thesis proposal of an undergraduate who needs a lot of guidance
at the start of a project.  I have seen similarly weird proposals in my
32 years of undergrad teaching.  Also, I recall that Carl Proffer
(founder of Ardis) once set out to write a spoof on a psychoanalytic
study of Pushkin's "Skupoi rytsar'," and in the end was so convinced by
his own joke that he developed it seriously and published it as an
article titled "Pushkin and Parricide" in the journal _American Imago_
(see p. 32 of the RLP volume).

Humor itself is a path into the unconscious, and if "John Reed" wrote a
joke, he may have revealed more about himself than he intended.

Isn't it ironic, also, that the Igor Tale itself may be a hoax?  (See
the recent book by Edward Keenan on Josef Dobrovsky).  Keenan observes
that Dobrovsky suffered from severe depression.  When Keenan presented
his thesis at a recent Slavic conference, I walked up to him afterwards
and pointed out some psychiatric evidence for his thesis: people who
suffer serious depression often have serious memory problems as well.
It is possible that Dobrovsky literally forgot that he wrote the Igor
tale, then honestly came to believe that he had discovered it.  Keenan
waved his arm in disgust, and while turning away from me declared he
does not believe in "psychoanalysis at a distance."

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere