Jane Austin in Russia?

Shrager, Miriam mshrage at INDIANA.EDU
Tue May 2 16:40:12 UTC 2006

Dear Svetlana, Cathy, and others,

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a close enough look at the books, we were
not allowed to touch them. However, I had the impression that those
were in English and not in French.
I have a question for you. Why do you think that Pushkin could not read
Jane Austin in English? (I remember reading somewhere that Pushkin knew
English well, only his pronunciation was bad). I'm convinced that if
Pushkin indeed had access to JA's books, the fact that they were in
English would not stop him from reading them.

Best,
Masha