JA and Pushkin?

Shrager, Miriam mshrage at INDIANA.EDU
Thu May 4 16:39:25 UTC 2006

Dear Seelangers,

In several of the letters (on list and off list) different people wrote
that it is not likely that Pushkin read any of JA’s books. Some argue
that Pushkin didn’t know English well enough. Others say that the books
couldn’t have appeared in Russia at that time, and some even speculate
that I could have been mistaken seeing JA while on a quick tour of the
Licej’s dark corridors, and that I saw something which looked similar,
but actually was not JA, etc, etc

Yes, everything is possible. I agree. However, there are three
different issues that should be distinguished. 1) Certain similarities
in the texts of Evgenij Onegin and Jane Austen’s novels. 2) The
question of Jane Austen in Russia. 3) Whether Pushkin drew on JA’s
books.

1) There are, indeed, parallels between the texts, which should be
carefully examined and analyzed. It might be that these similarities
originate from Pushkin’s drawing on JA, from the two authors drawing on
a third source or common literary tradition, or are a mere coincidence.
Whether JA was accessible at Pushkin’s time or not, or whether I saw
the wrong cover at the Licej’s library, it will not change the fact
that there are some textual similarities (especially between
“Northanger Abbey” and EO).

2) Regarding the second issue, this is a historical type of question
and should be examined accordingly. It would be best to make inquiries
in several Russian libraries, including the Licej’s library, in order
to find out when JA’s books first appeared in Russia.

3) Adding to what was said in point 1, even if Pushkin had access to
JA’s book, there is no evidence that he indeed read it, as he never
mentions it. So this third question is left entirely to speculation.

Best,
Miriam Shrager (Masha)