new book on Russian travel

Sara Dickinson sara_dickinson at VIRGILIO.IT
Wed May 10 14:12:46 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to announce the publication of a new book (my own) on
Russian travel and travel writing that might be of interest to some list
members:

BREAKING GROUND: TRAVEL AND NATIONAL CULTURE IN RUSSIA FROM PETER I TO
THE ERA OF PUSHKIN

This book examines travel writing’s contribution to the development of a
Russian national culture from roughly 1700 to 1850, as Russia struggled
to define itself against Western Europe. Russian examples of literary
travel writing began with imitative descriptions of grand tours abroad,
but progressive familiarity with the West and with its literary forms
gradually enabled writers to find other ways of describing the
experiences of Russians en route. Blending foreign and native cultural
influences, writers responded to the pressures of the age—to Catherine
II, Napoleon, and Nicholas I, for example—both by turning “inward” to
focus on domestic touring and by rewriting their relationship to the
West. This book tracks the evolution of literary travel writing in this
period of its unprecedented popularity and demonstrates how the
expression of national identity, the discovery of a national culture,
and conceptions of place—both Russian and Western European—were among
its primary achievements. These elements also constitute travel
writing’s chief legacy to prose fiction, “breaking ground” for the later
masterpieces of writers such as Turgenev, Dostoevsky, and Tolstoy. For
literary scholars, historians, and other educated readers with interests
in Russian culture, travel writing, comparative literature, and national
identity.

www.rodopi.nl

Please forgive cross-postings.

Cordially,
Sara Dickinson

Universita' degli Studi di Genova
Sezione di Slavistica
Facolta' di Lingue e Letterature Straniere
piazza Santa Sabina 2
16124 Genova, Italia

tel: 39-010-2099568
e-mail: sara.dickinson at unige.it