Chekhov's, The Bear

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun May 14 17:57:39 UTC 2006

>I am an actress and I am looking for the best English translation of
>Chekhov's, "The Bear" for a production.  I have a translation where
>"chelovek" is translated as "waiter".  I speak Russian fluently and I know
>that that is incorrect.  Please let me know where I can find a better
>translation.

Sorry to disappoint you, but in pre-1917-revolutionary Russia, the address
form to a waiter (by a man) was "chelovek" sometimes reduced to "chaek"
(same stress). There were other terms for a waiter which are no longer in
use, for ex. "polovoj". There were probably others but they don't pop to my
memory.

By the way French also has/had a similar word for a waiter - garçon, lit.
'boy' or to be precise 'immature-male' (so it would fit a 'bachelor' as
well), although I am sure some would disagree with me.

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW
 Washington, DC 20016