Chekhov's, The Bear

Rebecca Jane Stanton rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon May 15 13:59:30 UTC 2006

This is true for Russian, but not (in my experience) for French.  No
French person of my acquaintance would ever *address* a waiter as
"garçon" (they would address any adult person, regardless of position,
as "Monsieur"/"Madame"), though they would use the word to refer to him
in the third person -- just as a Russian might speak *of* the waiter as
"ofitsiant" but *to* him as "molodoi chelovek."  If anything, I think
the distinction is less marked in English (I can imagine a polite person
saying "Excuse me, waiter?" much more easily than the equivalent phrases
in Russian or French).

Rebecca Stanton