Suggestions?

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Thu May 18 21:04:00 UTC 2006

I would second this suggestion.  I've seen a copy of the book and the
illustrations by Genadij Spirin are amazing.  My friend's 7 year-old
loves it (and it wasn't even me who gave it to her -- it was her
grandfather who has no affiliation with anything Russian or Slavic, but
has a nose for good children's books, no pun intended).

There are also, I believe, skazki that have been slightly altered from
the original Russian version to suit an English-speaking audience:

•  Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave - by Marianna Mayer, Kinuko Y.
Craft (Illustrator) gets high ratings from parents reviewing it on
Amazon.com and seems age-appropriate.  At 40 pages, this may also fill
the 20 minute slot.
•  The Mitten by Jan Brett is a version of the tale "Teremok" and I
believe has been quite popular amongst parents.  In this case, though,
the animals all climb inside a mitten instead of a little house.
•  The Tale of Tsar Saltan by Alexander Pushkin, Gennady Spirin
(Illustrator) also got high reviews on Amazon.com and with Gennady
Spirin's illustrations, it would be a gorgeous thing to show to a class
(and enjoyable for the adult reading it).

I have not personally seen the above books (except for The Nose), but
in looking for other things for language classes and friends' kids,
they've crossed the radar a few times and could be worthwhile checking
out.

Hope this helps!

Emily Saunders