about Witches & Bones-throwers

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri May 19 17:27:12 UTC 2006

>No one so far mentions the Russian name of the
>Knuckles/Bones throwing, which
>Volga-Germans call "Bannock" but "think" it is a
>Russian word....it would of course be a Volga
>corruption of a German word.

Cf. This German dinner-dance event is sponsored by the American Historical
Society of Germans from Russia and features kids activities like bannock, a
game involving the throwing of horse bones; a dinner that includes berock,
a meat pie made of seasoned beef, cabbage, and onions; and dancing to live
polka music from Gary Seibert.
http://www.csufresno.edu/tapestry/news&events/

Russians to my knowledge don't use horse bones but instead play "v
kameshki" a variation on marbles game: http://www.marbles.ru/index.htm?art
and "v bloshki".

Then there used to be a game "v ushki" which I know strictly from Kataev's
"Beleet parus odinokij".

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW