Montehomo, the Hawk's Claw, Chief of the Ever Victorious

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu May 25 00:23:47 UTC 2006

>Spelled "Meyn Ried" in the translation, he's mentioned at the beginning
>of Nabokov's story "Russian Spoken Here."

Well, actually Mayne Reid, Thomas (1818-1883).

Russian text (hence searchable) is here:
<http://www.borisba.com/litlib/m_reid/>. Some time ago (actually a few
years ago) I came across his works online in English, so it's possible to
find it and search it as well.

>> Dear Seelangers,
>>
>> I am looking for the title of  a  presumably very well known novel of
>> Thomas Mayne Reid . He was enormously popular in Russia . Volodya and
>> his friend Checvetsin in Chekhov's  short story " The Boys"(1897) are
>> very fond of this writer.

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW