Obsolescence

Janneke van de Stadt Janneke.vandeStadt at WILLIAMS.EDU
Fri May 26 18:37:05 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

I have an unusual question I would love answered.  I am trying to
establish, generally speaking, when the word "klistir" became
obsolete and was replaced by "klizma."  Dal' (1881) defines the first
vaguely as "promyvatel'noe" and does not list the second.  A four-
volume dictionary published by the Academy of Sciences in 1958 lists
"klistir" as obsolete.  I don't have access to a dictionary published
before 1958, but, if anyone out there does, I would love to know what
was happening with these terms in the twenties and the thirties.

Many thanks in advance!

Janneke