Obsolescence

Maryna Vinarska vinarska at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 27 08:36:15 UTC 2006

I have a feeling that in Ukraine it is also still in use, but it may be the result of my working side by side with doctors for several years. Maybe this is where I heard it.
"Trubka ty klistirnaja" is still widely used, but this time I don't recall where it is from.
Regards,
Maryna Vinarska

"atacama at global.co.za" <atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA> wrote: The noun "KLISTIR" was / is alive and well in the White Russian emigre
community.

Vera Beljakova
Johannesburg
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Janneke van de Stadt Janneke.vandeStadt at WILLIAMS.EDU
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 14:37:05 -0400
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Obsolescence

Dear colleagues,

I have an unusual question I would love answered.  I am trying to
establish, generally speaking, when the word "klistir" became
obsolete and was replaced by "klizma."  Dal' (1881) defines the first
vaguely as "promyvatel'noe" and does not list the second.  A four-
volume dictionary published by the Academy of Sciences in 1958 lists
"klistir" as obsolete.  I don't have access to a dictionary published
before 1958, but, if anyone out there does, I would love to know what
was happening with these terms in the twenties and the thirties.

Many thanks in advance!

Janneke