"Little Vera"

Shrager, Miriam mshrage at INDIANA.EDU
Sat May 27 17:17:25 UTC 2006

Dear Nicole and others,

I must disagree with Maryna Vinarska.
Every one is entitled to his opinion and has his own taste. I, for
example, consider “Little Vera” to be a very good movie. Besides being
honest and true, it is optimistic while portraying difficult life
situations; and it does that in an artistic manner too (credit should
be given for that to the director and the actors). The general opinion,
which I encountered in Moscow among my friends and in the media, is the
same as mine. In addition, this movie was listed in the cinematography
book among the best movies of the last century (If I remember
correctly, the book was published in the USA and its title is something
like “The Best Movies of the 20th Century”).

That being said, it doesn’t mean you should teach it. I believe it is a
bad idea to teach students something that you personally don’t like. I
just wanted to address some of the categorical statements regarding
“Little Vera”, which were posted on Seelangs.

Cheers,
Masha

Miriam Shrager
Indiana University