акционерное общес тво

Renee Stillings | Alinga renee at ALINGA.COM
Mon May 29 00:14:08 UTC 2006

Basically, yes, that is correct. Often it is translated as "stock company"
or "joint-stock company" but it is essentially an incorporated company. At
it not so new - surely has been around from the early 90s at least. The
"Zakon ob aktionernikh obshestv" is often referenced as the "Law on
Joint-Stock Companies".

The other common structure for a company is the OOO - "obshestvo
ogranichenikh obyazatelstv" - equivalent to the LLC except that it does not
allow for flow-through income as it does in the US. Because of this, private
stock companies, refered to as "zakritoe aktionernoe obshestvo" are about to
be phased out as redundant, leaving OOOs and AOs (public companies).