акционерное обще ство

Renee Stillings | Alinga renee at ALINGA.COM
Mon May 29 16:24:25 UTC 2006

After 10 years (to date) of operating first a small brokerage and then a
legal and accounting consultancy in Moscow, I don't recall seeing
"OJSC/CJSC" in common usage. It is often referenced in full - "open
joint-stock company" though. At the same time, simply JSC is fairly often
used before the name of a company, but generally in reference to a
closed-stock company (ZAO). My husband (American), who has been practicing
law for the past 30 years in USSR/Russia, has pointed out to me that the
whole "joint-stock" term was imported to Russia by the British (I suppose at
the time all of these concepts were being developed and the laws written and
subsequently translated). I don't know whether anyone in Britain actually
refers to a company in that way, but it sure sounds awkward to the American
ear. He also does not like the use of "charter documents" as the most
commonly-used translation for "ustavnie dokumenti." I suppose it is a
somewhat lazy translation, with the English not carrying any real meaning
for those who need to use it.

Per Paul's indication of preferences below, the format of "OAO
Yuganskneftegaz" is more commonly used.

Renee