query about copyright

Janice Pilch pilch at UIUC.EDU
Tue May 30 17:48:13 UTC 2006

Dear Anna,

Thanks very much for your message regarding the copyright
query on lubki. I just want to say that the information you
received from the Getty Museum, as you presented it in this
message, is not entirely accurate. It's always difficult to
consider every aspect of copyright when faced with one
question. But it is not uniformly the case that 70 years
after the death of an artist, their artwork becomes public
domain. That is true for a work created in the U.S. by an
individual artist after January 1, 1978, but it is not true
for works created or published before then. Also, other types
of works (works of corporate authorship, works for hire,
anonymous works, pseudonymous works) have different copyright
terms. And foreign works have to be treated more carefully
because there are many other considerations when determining
the copyright status. See charts by Laura Gasaway and Peter
Hirtle:

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/Hirtle_Public_Domain
.htm

You are right about the difficulties people face in finding
images to use in publications. But the information you
received about black-and-white v. color images is misleading,
becauseit is never really that simple. The statute does not
speak to use of a black-and-white image or a color image. The
answer to a question on whether a use violates copyright has
to be found in the law, or one needs to rely on precedents in
case law.

I think the person was trying to say that use of a color
reproduction will more likely violate copyright than use of a
black and white reproduction. It’s true that a black and
white reproduction, as a low-resolution reproduction, a
thumbnail, a smaller version of a work, etc. will more likely
be considered a fair use than color, high resolution, full-
size, etc. because it’s not attempting to compete with the
original work. But it is not true that any use of a black and
white image will be considered fair use, either. It always
depends on the situation, and it is always advisable to
assess all four fair use factors to reach a conclusion on the
status of the use: purpose of the use, nature of the work,
amount of the work being used, and effect of the work on the
market or potential market for the work.

I just felt it was important to clarify this, so that people
don’t assume that there are black-and-white rules! I think
it's very good that you brought this up, it really helps the
discussion. I also want to mention that someone from the
listserv contacted me to recommend the University of Chicago
Press website on copyright:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/infopage.html

I also like the site of the Stanford University Copyright and
Fair Use Center: http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

And the University of Texas site is well known for being one
of the best:

http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/cprtindx.htm

The following book was also recommended: William Germano,
Getting It Published: A Guide for Scholars and Anyone Else
Serious about Serious Books (University of Chicago Press,
2001). To it I will add Kenneth D. Crews, Copyright Law for
Librarians and Educators: Creative Strategies and Practical
Solutions, 2d ed. (Chicago: American Library Association,
2006), and Stephen Fishman, The Copyright Handbook: How to
Protect and Use Written Works, 8th ed. (Berkeley, Calif.:
Nolo, 2004)

All the best,

Janice