Russian immigrants in US - classification possible?

atacama@global.co.za atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA
Wed May 31 08:06:33 UTC 2006

I read once that there are about 150 (or 1500) ethnic groupings
in the former USSR (all of whom mostly spoke Russian besides
their native language).

The Orthodox Church Abroad attracts/ed all Orthodox believers,
who were Slavic-(group)-speakers (most of whom were also
Russian-speakers).  This church also attracted people who
were German-Baltic Lutheran, but who also identitied
themselves with the Russian Empire, all of whom had learnt
Russian in school.  Even Russian-Empire  & ex-USSR
Jews still come to the social events and 'teas' after church
service, because they hanker for a bit of Russian language
and traditions and a chit-chat with (Russian Christian)
Landsmaenner.... (people who shared the 'land').

Vera Beljakova
Johannesburg.
-=-=--=-