Wikepedia

Andrey Shcherbenok avs2120 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Nov 1 08:00:43 UTC 2006

Robert, I do not really find this entry SO MUCH objectionable, I just
encountered it once and tried to edit it a little. I attempted to underscore
some dissimilarities between the Soviet and the Nazi policies that this
entry (at least in its version a month ago) made to look very similar. For
example, the treatment of civilians on the occupied territories or overall
political objectives of the two leaderships before 1941. But, anyway, the
fact that my changes were abolished several hours later made me realize that
Wikipedia is not "shared" or "common" knowledge; it is the knowledge of
someone anonymous who either has power (Big Brother version) or just
happened to be the last one to click the "Enter" key. This process, by the
way, is easy to make automatic -- you can just install very simple software
that would regularly check for changes in the selected entries and restore
the original texts. Not that I can think of any improvements to the project
-- probably it is just impossible to automatically create a text reflecting
common wisdom or shared knowledge, especially in subjects like history. So,
I prefer a regular authored (collectively or individually) text to anonymous
Wikipedia. Too many people do not, though -- when you Google something,
Wikipedia article often shows up first. I am afraid that this popularity,
along with the mythology of "objective" or "shared" knowledge, makes it a
huge resource for mass consciousness manipulation, at least potentially.

Thank you for the reference to Jonathan Brunstedt's article, it is very
interesting.

Best wishes,
Andrey