Kiev Missal?

Frank McLellan mclellan at PRINCETON.EDU
Thu Nov 9 11:47:12 UTC 2006

>Anyone know why the Kiev Missal is Roman rite?
>
>I hadn't known that before - or maybe I'd forgotten it.  I assume
>there are some theories.
>
>Peter Scotto
>Mount Holyoke College
>pscotto at mtholyoke.edu

I had meant to address this before; I hope it is still relevant.

To the best of my knowledge, in the Moravia of Constantine and
Methodius, both Eastern and Western Rites were used.  They were
working in a region that had previously known only Western
ecclesiastical influence, and their activity was sanctioned by the
Pope (and then un-sanctioned by his successor, and re-sanctioned by
*his* successor).  The Kiev Missal itself, unlike most other
monuments of Old Church Slavonic (as opposed to later recensions of
Church Slavonic) literature, shows marked West Slavic, or Czech
features, most notably *tj > c and *dj > z.  Auty believes the
translation was made in the Cyrillo-Methodian period, and he is
probably correct, even if this particular witness is of later
provenance.

As for the connections between Cyrill and Methodius and the Western
rite, remember that the papal bull that sanctioned the Church
Slavonic liturgy stipulated that the Epistle and Gospel be read first
in Latin and then in Church Slavonic.  Bob Mathiesen wrote an article
on the Uspenskij Bifolium in which he demonstrated, I think
convincingly, that one folium was from the (Eastern Rite) Liturgy of
St Basil while the other was from the Liturgy of St Peter, as the
Western Rite mass was known to them then.

If memory serves, there was a monastery in Prague where they
continued to use Church Slavonic, albeit in the Western Rite, for
some time after the death of Cyrill and Methodius, known popularly as
"Na slovanech."

Frank McLellan
--
Francis R. McLellan, Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer in Slavic Languages and Literatures