New publication: Saul Tchernikhovsky, Lyrical Tales and Poems of Jewish Life

Donald Loewen djloewen at BINGHAMTON.EDU
Fri Nov 10 01:41:08 UTC 2006

*New publication: Saul Tchernikhovsky, /Lyrical Tales and Poems of
Jewish Life/*

Martin Bidney, a friend and colleague who is Professor Emeritus of
English and Comparative Literature at Binghamton University (SUNY), has
just completed an English translation of poems by Saul Tchernikhovsky
(1875-1943) about life in Russia and more.   Since the publisher doesn't
do much advertising, I thought that I'd inform SEELANGers about it directly.

The story of this text is particularly fascinating since Prof. Bidney's
translation is not from Tchernikhovsky's Hebrew original (which uses
Ashkenazic rather than Sephardic pronunciation), but from the Russian
translation made by Tchernikhovsky's friend Vladislav Khodasevich, who
worked closely with Tchernikhovsky in translating the poems.

Poems in the anthology include:
"Dumplings,"
"On a Sultry Day,"
"The Covenant of Abraham" (I. On the Way to Egypt, II. The Circumcision,
III. The Feast)
"Wood Charms"
"Song to Astarte and Bel"
"Death of Tammuz"

For more information or to order a copy, please contact Martin Bidney
(at <mbidney at binghamton.edu>  ph. 607-772-0830) or the publisher:
Keshet Press, 9 Riverside Drive, Binghamton NY 13905,  ph. 607-723-7355.

---------
Donald Loewen
Assistant Professor of Russian
Dept. of German, Russian and East Asian Languages
Binghamton University (SUNY)
PO Box 6000
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000