Washington DC fraud warning

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Sun Nov 12 12:25:19 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGS colleagues:

Forwarding a "fraud alert" tonight about Hyatt Regency hotel guests,
I am reminded about a totally different type of fraud that happened
to me in Washington DC in December 2005, during the MLA-AATSEEL
conferences.  I lost "only" $60, so it's not in the same class with what
happened to Profs. Brasky and Dunlap.  But in any event don't let it
happen to you.

One evening appx. Dec. 28 or 29, 2006, as I was walking down the
crowded sidewalk toward the DC subway, I was approached by a little
old lady, age 65 to 75, Caucasian, slight southern accent, who was
very well dressed and proved to be very articulate. ( Just the opposite
of a mumbling derelict or "bag lady" or addict. )  She claimed she'd
locked herself out of her own expensive car nearby and needed taxi
fare ( I foolishly "loaned" her $60 ), to go to her suburban home
(prestigeous suburb) for a 2d set of car keys, thence to return to DC
to get her car and to pay back my "loan," with generous added interest.

This lady was not only extremely articulate, she also had an immediate
and completely credible answer for EVERY challenging question I put
to her -- and I put several. (Anyone who knows me knows I tend to be
a tad skeptical, to take nothing on faith, and to raise probing questions.)
The lady even left with me a piece of "precious family jewelry" as a
pledge until she could return to DC for her car.  And she gave as
reference a law firm and its phone number right there in downtown
DC, where she or her husband were a "partner of the firm."
(Both firm & phone proved to be 100% accurate--the lady had a
phenomenal memory!) Even an old skeptic like yours truly was finally
convinced the smooth lady was 100% genuine, so I "loaned" her $60
for taxi fare to get her 2d car keys.  She was inclined to try for twice
that sum, but my skepticism warned me to go no higher.

The next day, when she didn't reappear, I learned the jewelry was
worthless junk, and when I called the referenced law firm and talked
to their security officer, I learned that the articulate Little Old Lady
(name unknown) had previously worked the very same swindle on
several other gullible folks in the DC area.

Here's hoping you good folks going to DC won't be as gullible as I was,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.