slavics enrollment statistics

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at TEMPLE.EDU
Sun Nov 12 16:56:50 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGers:

The most comprehensive data in the field are those collected periodically by MLA/ADFL.  You can get those by download from the web at www.adfl.org (look for reports).  I think the last year they have statistics for is 2002.  Russian is definitely one of the languages they ask about, but I don't think they have been asking about Ukrainian (or that they report data on Ukrainian separately from a group of other less commonly taught languages not broken dodwn by language.)

You may also look at the data reported to the CCPCR at

http://www.american.edu/research/CCPCR/index.html

Just a reminder to all SEELANGers:  the data at CCPCR are only as good as we make them by reporting our own statistics on an annual basis.

With best wishes to all,

Ben Rifkin

*******
Benjamin Rifkin
Professor of Russian and
Vice Dean for Undergraduate Affairs
College of Liberal Arts, Temple University
1206 Anderson Hall, 1114 W. Berks St.
Philadelphia, PA 19122 USA
voice (215) 204 1816
fax (215) 204 3731
brifkin at temple.edu
www.temple.edu/fgis/rifkin

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list on behalf of Nina Shevchuk
Sent: Sun 11/12/2006 9:01 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] slavics enrollment statistics

Dear All:
  here's a deceptively simple question: how many students are enrolled in the study of Russian and Ukrainian language/lit (or at least in the study of a Slavic language/lit) as their major or minor at any given time in the US? I tried AATSEL, but they don't have a centralized statistics, only numbers for some colleges.

  I will be grateful for any ideas or references to net resources.

  Thank you,

  Nina Shevchuk-Murray