slivovitz recipe

Denis Crnkovic cronk at GAC.EDU
Sun Nov 12 21:19:25 UTC 2006

Martin Votruba has given the basic recipe for slivovitz, which is close to
the one my family in Croatia uses (they always remove the stones). The type
of plum (sliva) is essential, as Martin notes, and the (over)ripeness factor
is crucial if you want to push the alcohol content to its limit and preserve
the traditional "plummy" flavor. Some Hungarian friends of mine push the
ripening process to the very limit, letting the fruit rest in a collish
place in a clean crockery vessel for many weeks after pickng them. The
fermenting and distilling processes require quite a bit of care and
oversight and some savvy on how to work with fermentation tools (like brix
reading devices and air locks) and absolutely clean vessels. Fermenting can
also get messy and is odiferous, so if you try this, do it in a warm room
far enough away from living quarters so the pungent smell of overripe
fermenting fruit doesn't interfere with household harmony. I do caution,
though, as does Martin, that distilling  can be dangerous  unless you know
what you're doing (it is also probably illegal in some communities). If you
use a standard copper coil still, make sure you have an expert at hand. Or,
better yet, take the mash to someone who knows how to use a still. Good
distillers know from experience how many distillations a given mash will
need (although I can't recall my cousins distilling more than thrice - and
then to get a very potent product.) They also know when and how to work with
additives (like distilled water) or, even more important, when and how to
mix separate brews to get a great product.

As with all "cooking," making slivovitz requires practicing the technique
and getting a feel for the product. But it's not such a bad hobby and, if
you get good at it, the result can be as good as what the "baka" used to
make. Good luck!

Denis Crnkovic