funding question

Katerina King kpking at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Mon Nov 27 17:06:35 UTC 2006

Depends what area of Russian Studies your student is interested in,
Humanities or Social Sciences? MA or PhD? Your student should, of
course, apply for financial aid from the institution to which she is
applying for admission. There are quite a few opportunities for African
American students seeking graduate degrees, but your student will have
to sift through them based on her own profile (age, degree sought, place
of residence, field of study, career plans, etc.) You should direct her
to http://www.uncf.org/ as a place to start. Another good resource is
Financial Aid for African Americans by Gail Ann Schlachter and David
Weber (Reference Service Press). Then, of course, there are various
field-specific opportunities open to people of any ethnicity. I may be
able to offer additional ideas if you tell me more about your student;
feel free to contact me off list.
All the best,

Katya King

On 11/27/2006 11:31 AM, Jane Costlow wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I have a student (African American) who has majored in chemistry, with a
> minor in Russian, who is contemplating graduate work in Russian
> Studies.  She would be a very strong candidate - she's hardworking, well
> focused and quite bright.  I'm wondering what funding resources are
> available for under-represented groups/students of color in Slavic
> Studies.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jane Costlow
> Bates College

Katerina P. King, Ph.D.
Director for Graduate and Professional School Advising
Career Development Center
Mount Holyoke College
50 College Street
South Hadley, MA 01075-1456
Tel. (413)538-2080  Fax. (413)538-2081
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/cdc/5187.shtml

***
There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked
long.
- Louisa May Alcott