International Network on Intimacy / Call for Online Papers

Sandra Evans sandra.evans at UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE
Mon Oct 9 09:28:55 UTC 2006

Dear subcribers to the SEELANGS list,

Given the changing cognition of borders, spheres and spaces it is becoming
more pertinent to investigate interpersonal relationships and the production
of intimacy or proximity. The research project „Intimate Texts, Intimate
Spaces: Intimacy and Proximity in Russian Culture" at the Slavic Studies
Department of the University of Tübingen in Germany (Prof. Schamma
Schahadat; Dr. Nadezda Grigor'eva; Sandra Evans, M.A.) is dedicated to
investigating the production of intimacy and proximity in literary texts and
cultural spaces in Russian culture, e.g. in letters of friendship, in
platonic dialogue that was conceptualized in texts and put into action in
cultural performances, in literary salons in the early 19th century as well
as in communal living spaces ranging from the radical 1860s to the
postrevolutionary Avantgarde utopias that culminated in the Soviet communal
apartment. Here intimacy is understood to be a discursive phenomenon,
something that is produced rhetorically and/or contextually, transcending
its usual associations with physical intimacy to include intellectual and
emotional intimacy. For more information go to:
http://homepages.uni-tuebingen.de/schamma.schahadat/Intimitaetsprojekt/

Within the framework of this research project we would like to initiate an
international interdisciplinary network of researchers from Europe, North
America and Russia who are working on topics connected in some way with the
concept of intimacy and proximity (not limited to Russian philology). The
primary goal of this informal network would be to promote the exchange of
information across borders and disciplines with individual researchers,
projects and intitutions, yet collaborative activities in the future might
include conferences, workshops, book publications and other cooperative
projects -- we are open to suggestions and ideas. We would like to
inaugurate the network with an online publication of selected papers that
deal with intimacy and related topics. Papers can be submitted in English,
German or Russian in order to make this online publication and the network
in general accessible to a greater audience. If you would like to join the
network or publish a paper or both, be sure to contact Sandra Evans
(sandra.evans at uni-tuebingen.de). Please forward this announcement to others
who might be interested in participating. We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Sandra Evans
Slavic Seminar
Universitaet Tuebingen