Inquir about Andric's BRIDGE ON THE DRINA

Daniel Kaiser kaiser at GRINNELL.EDU
Thu Oct 12 21:06:49 UTC 2006

I confess that I am an amateur--as opposed to professional--admirer of Ivo Andric's
BRIDGE ON THE DRINA, and am therefore largely unfamiliar with the literature on
the book.  Therefore I am looking for help in identifying the following passage that
comments on the novel.  If the text seems familiar (even if there are minor
differences), I would very much appreciate learning the identity of the author.  I don't
mean to clog up everyone's emailbox, so I would be pleased to receive any
suggestions off-line (kaiser at grinnell.edu).  Thanks very much!

> One of the main ways the Bosnian Muslims and the Serbs were able to coexist
> was by uniting against a greater misfortune. “
for nothing brings men closer