Teaching Russian to a Dyslexic student

Edwina Cruise ecruise at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Tue Oct 17 15:58:43 UTC 2006

Based on my experiences:
    1.  Learning disabilities take many different forms.  At Mount
Holyoke a student  may take a short diagnostic to help isolate specific
problems.  But whatever, the problem, I have found that it is helpful:
    1) to prepare written materials in 14 (rather than the standard 12)
font;
    2) to  encourage the student to place a staright edge or ruler
underneath the line that needs to be read;
    3) to use different color chalks to visiually distinguish like from
unlike (verbs from nouns or to isolate endings from stems) when
presenting material on the board;
     4) to work with the student 1 on 1 reading aloud frequently.

I have had LD students go on to do distinguished work in Russian.
Alas, the opposite has also been true.  More women  than men come to
college with undiagnosed LDs.

I would urge your college to invest in at least the short testing that
can help to isolate the source of processing problems.

Edwina Cruise