(Kiev is now Kyiv)

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Fri Oct 20 18:34:35 UTC 2006

>Yes, and the French are simply furious with us that we don't say "Parii",

No no, Genevra, we just snicker and say Londres instead of London.

And one of us, 20-odd years ago, missed the 3 am train to Munich/München
from Venice/Venezia/Venise because the entire Departure board was
in Italian and (city names are city names, right) the only places listed
for a 3 am train were Roma, Monaco, and Trieste.

I suppose y'all would have figured that one out right away ...
-FR

--

Francoise Rosset
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies